Christmas is almost here! This time of the year, most of us are already excited and preparing for the family gathering … thinking about the food to prepare and serve.
Here’s a simple Humba (Braised Pork Belly) recipe that most Filipino homes serve on special occasions.
1 Kilo Pork Knuckles, cleaned
3/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
20 whole peppercorns
1 head garlic, minced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 cups water
2 small packs of native mushrooms or tenga ng daga
2 small packs of banana blossoms
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
How to cook
- Marinate pork knuckles in vinegar, soy sauce, peppercorns and garlic for 1 hour.
- In a separate bowl, soak the native mushrooms and banana blossoms in water for 15 minutes.
- Dip pork knuckles in brown sugar
- Pan fry on medium high heat until golden brown. Set aside.
- Using the same pan, place the meat back and pour in all the marinade and the water.
- Bring to a boil and then simmer until the meat is tender, approximately 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add the softened mushroom and the banana heart blossoms to the simmering pot of meat. Cook until the meat is tender and the sauce is thick.
- When sauce has thickened, add salt and simmer some more for 10 to 15 minutes.
Serve with hot rice.