Christmas celebration will never be complete without this: the good old Potato Salad. So for your Christmas party, here’s a tried and tested recipe to make your party meal complete and hearty!
Christmas Potato Salad
- 1 kilo potatoes
- 1 big chicken breast
- 3 pieces medium sized carrots
- 500 ml mayonnaise
- 1 can (836 g) pineapple tidbits or chunks
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, diced (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of chopped spring onions (optional)
- Iodized salt to taste (pepper, optional)
How to Cook:
- In a big pot, place potatoes and carrots
- put enough water to cover
- Bring to a boil and boil for about 15 to 20 minutes (or until cracks on the potato skin appears). To check if the potatoes are cooked, pierce using a toothpick. If it you can pierce it with minimal resistance and the toothpick comes out clean, the potatoes & carrots are cooked.
- Drain potatoes and carrots and let them cool.
- Once cooled, pealed the skin by hand.
- Dice the potatoes and carrots, about 1×1 cm
To prepare the chicken:
- Boil the chicken breast in water with some salt. Let cool.
- Shred the chicken meat in into 1 inch lengths.
- Drain the pineapple chunks or tidbits.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients – potatoes, chicken meat, pineapple, carrots, pickle relish, and mayonnaise.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate ti chill before serving.
- For variety and added flavor, you may add other optional ingredients such as diced cheese, chopped onions, spring onions, or raisins.
To serve, garnish with sliced apples on top.